Fwd: [Groff] PS and "page background"

From: Miklos Somogyi
Subject: Fwd: [Groff] PS and "page background"
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:04:21 +1000

Begin forwarded message:

From: Miklos Somogyi <address@hidden>
Date: 19 October 2005 7:53:47 PM
To: Jim Reid <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Groff] PS and "page background"

On 19/10/2005, at 6:07 PM, Jim Reid wrote:

On Oct 19, 2005, at 03:28, Miklos Somogyi wrote:

Bernd, thank you very much for the idea. I'll try when I'll have X windows. I would like to install Tiger and the the whole X environment on my Mac, but
I wait until I am sure that Tiger and "terminal" can co-exist.

I don't understand what you're waiting for. Tiger ships wih X windows. If the developer tools are installed, you can compile Ghostscript. It works just fine. The Mac PDF viewer Preview works on PostScript: it converts to PDF on the fly. It's probably a better choice because it uses the MacOSX Quartz rendering stuff. And if you're looking for a command-line interface, there's xterm or the Mac Terminal or the freeware iTerm. AFAICT these all support the standard ANSI command/escape codes.

Yes, Preview converts to PDF and is fast, I've been using it a lot. But it does not show diagnostics and if you have something wrong in your PS file, it does not display anything. No textual clue, no graphical clue as to what's wrong. A decent PS viewer gives you diagnostics and draws the picture up-until the
booboo.

Yes, there is Terminal. That's what I use now. However, when Tiger appeared on the scene and even when its first updates were introduced, there were many
reports that Terminal did not work.

Perhaps the latest version(s) solved the problem. When I finished the job I am
working on now, I'll have a look, take a big breath and plunge.

Miklos

PS. I've tried to post this to Jim a few times but got it back, refused as spam.

Miklos