Re: [Groff] PS and "page background"

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] PS and "page background"
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:16:25 +0100 (BST)

On 17-Oct-05 Miklos Somogyi wrote:
> [...]
> If you are serious about learning PS,  try to get a copy of
> the first edition of Adobe's PostScript Reference Manual.
> Unlike later editions it is not intimidating and you can
> study it to good effect at a long weekend.
> It is out of print but there are many second-hand shops
> (at least in the US) that sell "nearly as new" copies
> for $2 or $3. Plus postage ... :-)  It is a worthwhile investment.

To this I would add

  PostScript Language Tutorial and Cookbook"

also written by Adobe Systems Inc., and published by Addison-Wesley.

This leads you in from the beginning, giving examples of tiny PS
programs which do not only basic but also interesting things and
which really work! It also explains the details of how PS works
as a programming language -- the biggest implementation of a
Reverse Polish I've encountered, the next biggest being Forth
(and the third biggest being an HP-85 calculator I used to own).

It's a very good starting point if you are new to PS, and you
can use the examples as templates for your own effects.

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861