Re: [Groff] character garble

From: Zvezdan Petkovic
Subject: Re: [Groff] character garble
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 01:10:38 -0400

On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 10:10:18PM -0400, Larry Kollar wrote:
> Isn't that a little harsh? I overwrite the default groff installed
> in MacOS X all the time. I simply built a .pkg file and re-install
> it when Apple's system updates make it necessary.

Granted it is.  Two reasons:

        1. On OpenBSD packages install in /usr/local
           One has to jump through hoops to make a port install in the
           other place, and experience tells me that the hoops are
           usually there for a good reason to stop you from doing it.

        2. OpenBSD people security audit a lot of code that goes into a
           base OS.  For example, Apache web server is much safer than
           the one that a person can download from apache.org and
           install from source.
           That's why I avoid changing system files.  Unless it is
           enabled in a clean way by the developers.
           For example, sendmail is not built with SASL authentication
           as it comes in default OS.  However, if you want it, you just
           put WANT_SMTPAUTH=yes in /etc/mk.conf and even when the
           system sendmail is updated your option will be respected.

> The important thing is to make sure your build works properly
> before installing it over the default version.

Exactly.  Very important point.

Best regards,

        Zvezdan Petkovic