Re: [Groff] Would I dare to post here?

From: Zvezdan Petkovic
Subject: Re: [Groff] Would I dare to post here?
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 18:57:06 -0400

On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 07:34:09AM -0500, Alejandro López-Valencia wrote:
> I share your vision. We are here to share our knowledge, learn from
> those who know more than we do and help those who know less than we do
> so that they may one day surpass us; that is teach, in the true sense
> of the word.

Alejandro,

There are students that will surpass you, and that will be the greatest
reward of you as a teacher.

Then, there are those that you'd prefer to keep quiet about the fact
that you taught them.  Because they didn't learn anything.
And that was probably not your fault.  Rather it was either their
intellectual (in)capability or (as is often the case) they didn't care
despite being smart.

And then, there's an average Joe that will neither surpass you, nor you
will feel bad about teaching him, but Joe will be grateful for your
shared wisdom, and you will appreciate that Joe worked hard and
submitted every homework on time.

Well, you see, the Joe in our case neither came to class nor did he do
the homework.
And the teacher got tired of seeing Joe in his office repeatedly asking
the same questions that were already answered.
So the teacher told Joe to go back home and study the basics (in not
very minced words).
Now the teacher is rude, and Joe is the poor victim.
Right.

        Zvezdan Petkovic