[Groff] Would I dare to post here?

From: Miklos Somogyi
Subject: [Groff] Would I dare to post here?
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 17:15:59 +1000

Things like these:

    "Now, why on earth would you do this????"
    "Why are you messing up with the carefully tuned system files."
    "But I also didn't mess up anything ..."
    "People have already told you..."
    "... as I told you before..."
    "I always thought OpenBSD users know better than this."

put you on a pedestal (that you may richly deserve), but they also make the recipient's face red. He is not likely to come back for another serving, you have just turned a friend into an enemy.

You may be an expert in all thing Unix, but a "user" is most likely to operate the beast to
accomplish a task other than Unix/groff what have you.
And in many other respect he/she may know orders of magnitude more than you do.

If you want to help with your superior knowledge, that's fine. But it can be done within the bounds of civility. Before you click on the post button, just please consider how would you feel on the receiving end of
your own post.

I wish you good luck and less use of destructive phrasing.

Miklos Somogyi