Re: [Groff] character garble

From: Robert Goulding
Subject: Re: [Groff] character garble
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 12:15:39 -0500

D. E. Evans wrote:

I have installed 1.19.2 (via todays cvs checkout) onto an OpenBSD
3.7 system, (which uses 1.15 by default).  This also required an
upgrade of texinfo to 4.8, (both of which I installed from source).

I get the following result when accessing the man page for groff (though
texinfo's came out fine):

<URL:http://www.deevans.net/groff.png>

I'm sure there's something silly I've overlooked. Perhaps someone could
point it out to me?

Read man grotty (if you can see it through the escape sequences!). Groff now uses SGR (ANSI-escape) sequences for bold, underline, color etc. You can temporarily disable it by setting the environment variable GROFF_NO_SGR - this will revert grotty to the old behavior of backspacing and overprinting. Essentially, to get it all to work smoothly on your system *with* SGR sequences, you need to adjust the behavior of your pager - as described in the manpage.

Robert.