Re: [Groff] moving TOC to start

From: Michael Parson
Subject: Re: [Groff] moving TOC to start
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:48:53 -0500

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 12:20:40PM +0200, Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:

>> BTW, I *never* have *any* user writeable directory before the
>> system binary directories, in *my* PATH;  but, I guess it would
>> be naive to expect everybody to follow that piece of simple
>> security advice.
>
> Obviously you're doing the Right Thing in this regard, but I
> find it sometimes convenient to "replace" some system programs
> with other versions or with wrappers with added functionality,
> and these must come before the "normal" programs in PATH if you
> don't always want to type the complete path to the executable
> (or remeber a new name for each).

And that's what shell aliases are for.  Makes it easy to grab the
system default to.  If you want your ls, just type it.  If you want the
un-aliased version, prepend it with a '\'.

$ type -a ls
ls is aliased to `/usr/local/bin/gls --color'
ls is /bin/ls

$ ls      # calls the aliased one

vs

$ \ls     # calls /bin/ls w/o options

But boy, is this some topic drift, so I'll cut it off here. =)

--
Michael Parson
address@hidden