Re: [Groff] moving TOC to start

From: Jon Snader
Subject: Re: [Groff] moving TOC to start
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:42:37 -0400

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 10:53:59AM +0100, Keith MARSHALL wrote:

> The problem with groff's `write' requests is that they don't work,
> if the user fails to specify the `-U' flag, when invoking groff.
>
> This flag activates the so called `unsafe' mode.  While it probably
> isn't the case, this carries the connotation that it makes groff in
> some way harmful, and therefore, some users may be reluctant to use
> it.  If the ms' `XS', `XA' and `XE' macros are reimplemented, so as
> to rely on `write' requests, then they appear broken, in the event
> that the user either forgets, or refuses to specify `-U'.
>
> Not a big deal, I know, but `unsafe' is a rather unfortunate choice
> of name for this `extended functionality' mode of groff's.

For my TOC I write the files to stdout with .tm, so I don't even
need the .write request (although I do use it for cross
references).  I'm not sure what the big deal is; it's not like
we're typesetting unknown documents.  My makefile just specifies
the -U when I'm working on my documents.  For other stuff I just
specify groff on the command line, so the -U doesn't come into
play.

jcs