Re: [Groff] HTML output of a man page containing an equation

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: Re: [Groff] HTML output of a man page containing an equation
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 02:57:45 +0200

Gaius Mulley <address@hidden> schrieb am 21.07.05 11:47:49:
> Dominique Orban <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I am having a problem converting a man page containing an equation to
> > html format.
>
> I've tried your example with a recent version of groff (1.19.2) and it
> appears to work fine.

That is partly true.  `grohtml' transforms the equation into an image that is
stored as a png picture in the current directory.  `groff' generates a html
output containing a reference to this stored image file.

This could be alright, but goes wrong when you are not in a writable
directory or the html output is stored to some file in another directory.

The non-writable directory problem could be fixed by making `groff' store
the images in the temporary directory; but then the finding and the
removement of the suitable image files could be complicated.

A better method might be to find a possibility to include the picture source
directly into the html output.  But I do not have any idea on this.

I fixed `groffer' to always work by changing to the temporary directory
before `groff' is called.

Other ideas?

Bernd Warken