Re: [Groff] Multilingual documents using groff

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Multilingual documents using groff
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 13:22:54 +0200 (CEST)

> How can I display and use Chinese, Japanese and German characters
> using groff?  I want to create documents in these three languages.
> Does groff support these languages?

Not really, for various reasons.  In short, groff supports German
well, it supports Japanese if you use a special version from Debian,
but there isn't support for Chinese AFAIK.

With `support' I mean that you can easily input the language, without
preprocessing the data to a format groff can understand more or less.

Hopefully, this will change as soon as UTF8 input is implemented.

For the moment -- being heretical -- I recommend LaTeX to do what you
want, using my CJK package.