Re: [Groff] HTML output of a man page containing an equation

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Groff] HTML output of a man page containing an equation
Date: 21 Jul 2005 11:40:38 +0100

Dominique Orban <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am having a problem converting a man page containing an equation to
> html format. Here is my simple test case
>
> ----------
> .\" @(#)test v1.0 07/2005;
> .TH test 1 "20 Jul 2005"
> .SH NAME
> test \- a test man page with an equation.
> .SH SYNOPSIS
> test
> .SH DESCRIPTION
> A test man page with an equation used to test
> groff -e -Thtml -man. Now this is the equation
> .EQ
> f(x) = int sin (x).
> .EN
> .LP
> .SH ARGUMENTS
> None.
> .LP
> .SH AUTHORS
> John Doe, 2005.
> .SH "SEE ALSO"
> Nothing.
> ---------------

Hi Dominique,

I've tried your example with a recent version of groff (1.19.2) and it
appears to work fine. Here is my output from your test.

The html device driver underwent significant changes between 1.18.*
and 1.19.2, it is best to upgrade - (if you require html output from
groff). Building groff from source is really easy on debian - caveat
you will also need to have built from source a specific version of
texinfo (4.8) first. Here are the requirements from the file `README.CVS'

  the netpbm package
  texinfo 4.8
  bison >= 1.875b or byacc
  ghostscript