Re: [Groff] Escape characters in -man output

From: Meg McRoberts
Subject: Re: [Groff] Escape characters in -man output
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 03:32:34 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks, Keith.  Old habits die hard -- I've used col -b with
man pages for so long that it never occurred to me to omit it.

However, I tried your command line and I now have ^[ characters
in the output in addition to the 0* control characters.  I've
inserted the beginning of the formatted page at the end here
for your perusal...

meg

--- Keith MARSHALL <address@hidden> wrote:

> Meg McRoberts wrote:
> > Thanks, Jorgen, I had missed this -- I'm not technical enough
> > to recognize that these *m strings were SGR.  However, I just
> > tried adding -c and -C to my groff line and I still have the
> > same thing.  Here's my command line:
> >
> >   groff -mandoc -stC -Tlatin1 tmsplx.xml.5 \
> >     | col -b > catman/tmsplx.xml.5
>
> Surely, you don't need "col" here.  I always understood that it
> was not required by "groff", and it isn't included in any "groff"
> distribution.  Moreover, there's a note in the "man.conf" template
> distributed with man-1.5m2 for Linux, that says a combination of
> "col" -- from some other source -- with "groff" can actually
> *damage* the output.
>
> Try
>
>   groff -mandoc -stc -Tlatin1 -P-c tmsplx.xml.5 \
>      > catman/tmsplx.xml.5
>
> HTH.
>
> Regards,
> Keith.
Output from this command:

tmsplx.xml(5)                                                    tmsplx.xml(5)

^[[1mNAME^[[0m
       tmsplx.xml - ServerProtect for Linux (SPLX) configuration file

^[[1mDESCRIPTION^[[0m
       The ^[[4m/opt/TrendMicro/SProtectLinux/tmsplx.xml^[[24m file contains
all the con-
       figuration parameters for the ServerProtect for Linux  antivirus  soft-
       ware. This is an ^[[1mXML ^[[22mfile, with entries in the following
format:

           ^[[1m<P Name="key"  Value="value" />^[[0m

       Note the following:

       --  Each parameter begins with ^[[1m< ^[[22mand ends with ^[[1m/>^[[22m.

       --  All keys and values must be surrounded by double quotes

       --  When  a  value  contains  multiple values, the values are separated
           with a colon (^[[1m:^[[22m). For example:
                  ^[[1m/var/tmp:/home/samba:/tmp^[[0m
                  ^[[1mexe:dll^[[0m