Re: [Groff] Escape characters in -man output

From: Jörgen Grahn
Subject: Re: [Groff] Escape characters in -man output
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 10:43:40 +0200

On Thu Jul  7 01:34:04 2005, address@hidden wrote:
> Thanks, Jorgen, I had missed this -- I'm not technical enough
> to recognize that these *m strings were SGR.

Me neither. I know them under the (probably vaguely incorrect) name "ANSI
escape sequences".

> However, I just
> tried adding -c and -C to my groff line and I still have the
> same thing.  Here's my command line:
>
> groff -mandoc -stC -Tlatin1 tmsplx.xml.5 | col -b > catman/tmsplx.xml.5

The -c option mentioned is an option to grotty, so you have to "tunnel" it
through groff's -P option. This works for me (with groff 1.19):

   groff -P-c -Tlatin1 -man [...]

(To confuse things a bit, groff has a -c option which is documented to
disable tty color output, which in turn requires SGR -- but it disables
color and nothing more.)

Alternatively, you may set the GROFF_NO_SGR shell environment variable.
That's also mentioned in grotty(1).

/Jörgen

--
  // Jörgen Grahn       "Koka lopplummer, bada Ross, loppor borta."
\X/ <address@hidden>                                   -- Jonas