Re: [Groff] Prevent hyphenation of individual words?

From: Michael Smith
Subject: Re: [Groff] Prevent hyphenation of individual words?
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 23:19:11 +0900

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

> > I notice that the groff info page says this:
> >
> >   To tell `gtroff' how to hyphenate words on the fly, use the `\%'
> >   escape, also known as the "hyphenation character".  Preceding a
> >   word with this character prevents it from being hyphenated [...]
> >
> > But that does not seem to actually work -- at least not in testing
> > with groff 1.18.1 (latest version packaged for Debian).
>
> Example, please.

Here's a minimal example that illustrates the problem:

  .TH "EXAMPLE" 7 "2007\-09\-04" "Version 1" "Controlling hyphenation"
  .\" ================================================================
  .SH "NAME"
  .\" ================================================================
  example \- show some problem with preventing hyphenation
  .\" ================================================================
  .SH "DESCRIPTION"
  .\" ================================================================
  .PP
  Values for the \%version, \%recovery, \%debugging, \%timing,
  \%output, \%repeat, \%compression, \%insert, \%formatting,
  \%encodings, \%catalogs, \%automation, \%register, \%validate
  options may be set in the configuration file as well as via the
  command line.

If I run that through man(1), I still get breaks within the words
that fall at the end of lines, even though they are preceded with
\% (in various words, depending how I have my MANWIDTH set).

  --Mike

P.S. As far as using the .nh and .hy requests, I have run into a
problematic case: If a word I want to prevent from being
hyphenated is followed by punctuation (a comma or period, for
example), it is very difficult to deal with that from the XSLT
processing side if I need to output .nh an .hy around the word.

For example, if my XML source markup looks like this:

And if I just specify in my XSLT stylesheet that each option needs
to be output with an .nh before it and an .hy after it, what I end
up with is this:

  .nh
  encodings
  .hy
  ,
  .nh
  catalogs
  .hy
  ,

Which is rendered as:

  encodings , catalogs ,

That is, with spaces added before the commas.

So, a solution that allowed "hyphenation prevention" to be
specified inline (e.g., a groff escape instead of request) would
be much easier to deal with (from an XSLT processing perspective).