[Groff] Re: Difference of gxditview between -X, -TX*, and -Z

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: Difference of gxditview between -X, -TX*, and -Z
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 01:52:43 +0200 (CEST)

> >   rigel:~$ groff -V -X
> >   troff -r.X=1 -Tps | gxditview -printCommand 'grops | lpr' -
> >
> >   rigel:~$ groff -V -Z
> >   troff -Tps
>
> Both ps are not normal Postscript,

I don't understand.  Please explain.

> but `groff -Z name.g | file -'
>   reports: /dev/stdin: ditroff output text for PostScript

This is correct.

> And the groff man page says on -Z:
>
>         -Z    Do not postprocess the output of troff that is normally
>               called automatically by groff.  This will print the
>               intermediate output to standard output; see
>               groff_out(5).

This is correct also.

> >   rigel:~$ groff -V -TX75
> >   troff -TX75 | gxditview -
>
> The real intermediate output (according to groff_out(5)) seems to be
> only available after -TX* in the gxditview viewer, but not as a text
> output.

What is `text output'?

> Either -Z must be changed to produce again the good intermediate
> output without the bad ps part or a whole lot of documentation must
> be changed.

What is the `bad PS part'?  I have again difficulties to understand.
Please reformulate.

Option -Z just prevents the call of the postprocessor.  It does *not*
select the output device for which troff produces output.  If you want
intermediate output which is specially formatted for gxditview, you
must say

  groff -TX75 -Z

for example.  In `groff -V -Z' you only see the `-Tps' because it is
the default output device.