[Groff] Difference of gxditview between -X, -TX*, and -Z

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: [Groff] Difference of gxditview between -X, -TX*, and -Z
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:29:59 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> schrieb am 23.06.05 09:34:14:

> Personally, I very much dislike option -X: Using (g)xditview for
> previewing groff's PS output is ugly, and gv or any other decent PS
> previewer do a much better job today.  Good looking output for
> gxditview can be produced with -TX75 or -TX100 (or its variants
> -TX75-12 and -TX100-12).

As error test I still use the broken bash man page with its error on page 54.

`groff -X' shows the error.  But `groff -Z|gxditview -' also generates the same
error.  `groff -TX*', on the other hand, is different and avoids the error.

That seems curious to me.  `-X' is said to produce PS output, while `-Z'
generates just the intermediate output.  So `-Z' should look more like `-TX*'
than `-X'.

What exactly is going on with -X, -Z, and -TX*?

Bernd Warken