Re: [Groff] Weird problem; .ig is not ignored

From: Jörgen Grahn
Subject: Re: [Groff] Weird problem; .ig is not ignored
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 23:25:57 +0200

On Mon Jun 20 22:14:09 2005, address@hidden wrote:
> As mentioned by Keith, interpolating undefined registers within .ig
> actually defines them (with value zero).  Consequently, the line
>
>   .if !rPO .nr PO \\n(.o
>
> from s.tmac (in macro address@hidden') no longer initializes \n[PO] as
> expected.
>
> Looking into the `tmac/s' file from Solaris I see that the start-up
> code *always* sets PO.  Since groff allows the setting of `PO' on the
> command line, this is not an option for groff.

So this would lead to the rule "don't mention PO before the -ms macros kick
in, unless you intend to set it"?  Seems like a fairly acceptable and
predictable rule to me -- despite my earlier confusion.

BR,
Jörgen

--
  // Jörgen Grahn       "Koka lopplummer, bada Ross, loppor borta."
\X/ <address@hidden>                                   -- Jonas