Re: [Groff] groff for Mac OSX

From: Robert Goulding
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff for Mac OSX
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 21:49:52 +0100

On Jun 1, 2005, at 5:14 PM, Miklos Somogyi wrote:

Is there a Mac OSX (Panther-Tiger) compiled version of groff available?
Does anyone have a commented version of the "me" macros?

Thank you very much,

Miklos

There doesn't seem to be a ready-compiled version of the latest groff around. OS X.3 comes, of course, with groff 1.18.1 pre-installed. But it is easy to compile the CVS using the OS X development tools. Get the CVS as detailed on the webpage. Then issue the commands in Terminal.app:

setenv CXX g++2
setenv PAGE letter [that is, if you need letter paper as default instead of A4]
./configure --mandir=/usr/local/share/man
make

That should do it! But it *would* be good if there were a precompiled binary around - I'm on vacation with a laptop without development tools installed, and would very much like to be able to download a ready-made binary of the latest CVS. When I get back home, I may well do it myself and put it on a webpage somewhere.

As for the -me macros - take a look at the version in the CVS (or the release tarball), *before* it gets installed. It is quite extensively commented - the comments are stripped out in the installation process.

Robert.