Re: [Groff] corrections of groff's README file

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] corrections of groff's README file
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 00:24:19 +0100

On Monday 23 May 2005 7:29 pm, Bernd Warken wrote:
> The file README.CVS in groff's top source directory contains information
> about tools that are needed to build groff from its source.  This
> information is not only necessary for the CVS version, but for all versions
> of the groff source.  So this information belongs to the file README
> instead.
>
> The existence of the file README.CVS forces that all CVS information in
> README should go to README.CVS.

Why?

Sorry to make a nuisance of myself on this thread.  I've already replied to
this particular message once, and have now had another thought.

It is my opinion only, but actually, I disagree with this.  I have never
really seen the benefit of having a separate README.CVS file.  Most users,
coming to a package for the first time, will look for an unqualified README
file, and may also expect to see several architecture dependent qualified
READMEs.  Amongst these architecture specific READMEs, it is quite easy to
overlook README.CVS -- I know I missed it, until Werner explicitly referred
me to it, even though there are virtually no architecture specific READMEs in
groff; (in fact, my own README.MinGW seems to be the only one at present;
have we lost some along the way?  I seem to remember others in groff 1.18).

IMHO, it would be better to merge the small amount of CVS specific
information into the main README file, and to dispense with README.CVS
altogether, especially since, of the requirements listed there, only two are
actually uniquely specific to CVS builds.

Regards,
Keith.