[Groff] mom version 1.3 released

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: [Groff] mom version 1.3 released
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 13:23:37 -0400

Hi, all.

The latest release of the mom macros is now posted at

    http://faustus.dyn.ca/mom/mom.html

It's also in the CVS repository.  (Many thanks to Werner, who, in
the midst of getting ready for a groff release, found time to apply
the patches and whatnot.)

For those who follow such things, the version number is 1.3,
supplanting the 1.2-x series.  IOW, new "features", not tested
enough in the real world to warrant a "stable" minor version
number.

New features and extensions in this version include:

    - refer support
    - margin notes
    - line numbering
    - extensions to LIST/ITEM

The refer support is based largely on the ms refer module, with
extensions, tweaked to cooperate with mom.  The formatting style for
references and bibliographies is MLA (Modern Language Association).
Anyone familiar with ms should have no difficulty adapting mom's
refer support if they prefer another style.  With mom's refer
support, references can easily be embedded in text, sent to
footnotes and/or endnotes, or collected for a bibliography.

The documentation for mom's refer support is deliberately
mom-specific.  *Very* mom specific.  Only as much of refer as a
user needs to know in order to use it, unmodified, with mom, is
documented.  It was tempting to include a whole mom-style manual on
refer usage, but I decided against it.  Users wishing to tweak mom's
refer support to their particular needs will have to consult the
manpage.

The margin notes macros and routines are mommified versions of
Werner's MN.tmac.  Again, many thanks to Werner, whose work saved
me a lot of time.  Modifications to Werner's macros include:

    - by default, the first line of all margin notes aligns with
      a text baseline ("on the grid")

    - margin notes, left and/or right, flow from one page to
      the next when the entirety of a margin note doesn't fit;
      margin notes, a portion of which cannot be fit on the page at
      all, are ignored

    - in documents set in two columns, all margin notes pertaining
      to the left column go left; all to the right, right
      (additionally, mom does not allow margin notes in docs of
      more than two columns)

The line-numbering scheme is as flexible as I could make it
within the limitations of .nm.  Chiefly, line-numbering is
included in order to allow the referencing of footnotes and
endnotes by line number(s).  Mom's way of handling line-numbering
differs significantly from .mn's defaults; users interested in
line-numbering in mom should read the pertinent section of the docs
for a description.

Also, with mom's line-numbering enabled, there's now also the option
to have run-on footnotes.

The nested-list routines have been extended to allow more styles of
enumerators (upper case alphas, upper and lower case roman
numerals).  As well, there's now an option to put a prefix before
the enumerator, as well as a separator afterwards (for users
wanting (1), (2)...).

The suggestion, made on the list, of having a way to set up
an entire list structure before embarking on it, has not been
implemented at this time.  Methinks it will involve a complete
rewrite of the LIST/ITEM macros, which I haven't time for.  Since
not being able to set up complete list structures all in one
shot presents the user with a minor (and, one hopes, infrequent)
inconvenience, rather than a major stumbling block, I believe I can
let this one go for now.

--
Peter Schaffter
  Author of _The Schumann Proof_ (RendezVous Press, Canada)