Re: [Groff] Using pic/groff/gs to produce gif/jpeg

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Using pic/groff/gs to produce gif/jpeg
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 08:12:05 +0200 (CEST)

> Hi, create a file foo.pic containing just one line:
>
> box "hello world"
>
> process like this:
>
> pic2graph -format jpg -density 90 < foo.pic > foo.jpg
>
> if you put foo.jpg into a web page you can see that there is a load
> of blank space below the box.
>
> This was using groff version 1.19.1 and convert version 6.2.2.

Hmm, with the current CVS and my installed `convert' program (from
ImageMagick 5.5.7 03/11/05), I get the attached JPG image which has a
size of 69x47 pixels.  This is the smallest bounding box possible.

> You get the correct behaviour with a file foo.pic containing:
>
> .PS
> box "hello world"
> .PE
>
> and processed like this:
>
> groff -p -P-pletter foo.pic | convert -trim -density 90 - foo.jpg

It seems that newer `convert' versions have changed the meaning of
`-crop'.  I've added `-trim' to pic2graph in the CVS.  Thanks for the
report.

    Werner

JPEG image