Re: [Groff] CVS Build Problem

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] CVS Build Problem
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 04:56:38 +0100

On Saturday 07 May 2005 11:13 pm, I wrote:
> On Saturday 07 May 2005 6:08 pm, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > > Attached is a small script, demonstrating a possible `searchpath'
> > > shell function.  [...]
> >
> > On my Linux box it works fine.
>
> As indeed, it does on mine.  It also works fine on my Win32 box, both in
> the MSYS and Cygwin environments, and on my SunOS 5.5.1 box.
>
> I'm particularly keen to hear from users with other systems, especially any
> for whom it *doesn't* work.  Also, I'd like to hear from users of other
> shell environments on Win32.  Can these environments be identified by
> examining the OSTYPE environment variable?  If not, what test can I use to
> identify them? Do they use a colon rather than the default Win32 semicolon
> as the PATH separator?  Which do use the semicolon?
>
> TIA.

Judging from the volume of the deafening silence, in response to this --
thanks to Werner, for his lone voice in the wilderness -- I assume that a)
nobody else cares, or b) it works as intended, for anybody who does.
Therefore, I've now worked it into pdfroff.sh: (patch attached).

For the top level ChangeLog:

    Improve portability of `pdfroff' shell script.

    * arch/misc/shdeps.sh: add space in shebang, conforming to portability
      guidelines in `autoconf' docs.
      (PATH_SEARCH_SETUP): new substitution; emits PATH_SEPARATOR
      initialisation code, used by contrib/pdfmark/pdfroff.sh `searchpath'
      function.

For contrib/pdfmark/ChangeLog:

    Improve portability of `pdfroff' shell script.

    * pdfroff.sh: add space in shebang, conforming to portability guidelines
      in `autoconf' docs.
       (searchpath): new shell function; use it instead of `type' command, to
      locate prerequisite helper programs.

    * pdfroff.man: document influence of `OSTYPE' and `PATH_SEPARATOR'
      environment variables.

    * Makefile.sub: (pdfroff): make it depend on SH_DEPS_SED_SCRIPT, from
      arch/misc/shdeps.sh; use it to customise PATH_SEPARATOR initialisation
      code for `searchpath' function in pdfroff.sh

Best regards,
Keith.