Re: [Groff] Using pic/groff/gs to produce gif/jpeg

From: David Griffiths
Subject: Re: [Groff] Using pic/groff/gs to produce gif/jpeg
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 15:47:22 +0100

Ah, using pnmraw instead of pnm makes everything 2-3 times faster!

That brings the pnm approach down to only twice the time of my final direct to jpeg approach which I guess I can live with. I know it's nice and flexi but it still seems overkill passing round these raw bitmaps from command to command.

Thanks for the pointer.

Dave

Ralph Corderoy wrote:

Hi Larry,

I've never found a good way to script this.  The process I use is to
open the postscript file with gimp, crop and save.  It would be very
pleasant to have a way to quickly generate high quality cropped images
from groff.  If anyone knows how to do that I'd like to know too.

For troff.org, where I want the images to be generated from the given
troff source, I use

    groff "$@" |
    gs -q -r144 \
        -sDEVICE=pnmraw -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sOutputFile=- \
        -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 - |
    pnmcrop -quiet |
    pnmmargin -white 10 |
    pnmtopng -quiet -interlace -compression 9

netpbm does the hard work with pnmcrop and pnmmargin.

Cheers,

Ralph.

--
http://w3.hursley.ibm.com/~dgriff/