Re: [Groff] Fw: ac_ext problems

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] Fw: ac_ext problems
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 22:35:22 +0100

On Friday 06 May 2005 9:54 pm, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Keith Marshall <address@hidden> writes:
> > On Friday 06 May 2005 8:09 pm, Zvezdan Petkovic wrote:
> >> Obviously only gmake recognizes .cpp as a C++ file on a Unix system.
> >> With older version of gmake on a different Unix machine .cpp has not
> >> been recognized.
>
> Sorry, I don't get the connection here.  The extension in question is
> used to do things like have "configure" invoke "CC conftest.cpp"; it
> isn't used for Makefiles, as far as I know.

The OP had stated that if he created a file, `tryme.cpp', then said

        make tryme

his version of make, (which isn't GNU make), didn't have a default rule to
make `tryme' from `tryme.cpp', but it did know what to do with `tryme.cc'.

Of course, as Werner has said, this is entirely irrelevant, if `ac_ext' is
only used within the `configure' context, and all C++ compilers know how to
process *.cpp files.  On this understanding, there would be no advantage in
making the patch any more complicated than the simple `ac_ext=cpp' you have
already applied.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Best regards,
Keith.