Re: [Groff] refer question

From: joerg van den hoff
Subject: Re: [Groff] refer question
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 15:03:12 +0200

Peter Schaffter wrote:
On Wed, May 04, 2005, joerg van den hoff wrote:

hi all,

is there a way to reset refer settings somewhere 'downstream' if the 'upstream' defaults are no good?

specifically:

in my document I source a certain defaults file in which, upon different other settings, one finds:

.R1
database the_standard_database
.R2

now, I want to set in the _current_ document

.R1
database a_different_database
.R2

which by itself of course _appends_ the new database to the set of databases searched (and is searched latest).

can I enforce solely searching of the new database without eliminating the first one from the defaults file (which would be bad for other documents...)? i.e. is there a way to clear the variable holding the database string (well, what is it's name? :-) )

.R1
no-default-database
database a_different_database
.R2

instructs refer not to search the default database.  If later you
need to have refer include the default database again:

.R1
default-database <filename>
.R2

I think that should work.

well, yes I should have read (again...) the refer manpage. so: thank you very much for your hint (actually to solve my problem I had to eliminate the refer command "database the_standard_database" from the sourced defaults file and instead set $REFER to this value. then, one has to use database <filename> in the document (default-database takes no arguments...).

another problem:
I'm fiddling with getting the references the way the editor has ordered. this is (as has been remarked on this list) not straightforward for the uninitiated both for the format of the reference as well as for the label in the text. so what I would like are labels of the form, e.g.:

Miller, 2002; Jones, 2003; Jones, 2003a

i.e. the character enumeration should take effect _only_ if there is more than one reference of the kind _and_ the enumeration should affect only reference #2 and following.

what I have achieved up to now is

Miller, 2002; Jones, 2003a; Jones, 2003b

by using:

label A.n',\~'D.y%a*

(by the way: why does label A.n', 'D.y%a* issue an error message "too many arguments for command `label'" ?).

how can I get it completely right?

any help appreciated

joerg