Re: [Groff] CVS Build Problem

From: Larry Jones
Subject: Re: [Groff] CVS Build Problem
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 20:08:07 -0400 (EDT)

Zvezdan Petkovic writes:

> Well, like it or not, Korn shell was the basis for POSIX. :-)

Being as ksh is my shell of choice, I'm all for it.  But given that
basis, I was surprised to find that neither "type" nor "whence" is
supported by the POSIX shell.

> So the solution is to use command -v.

Hardly -- "type" is probably more portable than "command -v" is.
Particularly since "command -v" is optional in the latest version of
POSIX (it's part of the User Portability Utilities option).

-Larry Jones

Things are never quite as scary when you've got a best friend. -- Calvin