Re: [Groff] pic resize problem

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] pic resize problem
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:41:28 +0200 (CEST)

> When i process a pic file into a postscript file, for some reason it
> gets shrunk automatically, how do i stop this? i type this in the
> command line:
>
> pic floorB.pic | psroff -ms -t > floorB.ps
>
> and get this output:
>
> pic: 60 X 42 picture shrunk to 7 X 4.9

Uh, oh, whatever you use, it isn't groff!  Anyway, I'm very grateful
because your input file has identified a parsing bug in GNU pic.
This:

  A: (1,1)
  B: (2,2)
  line from (A) to (B)

or this:

  A: (1,1)
  B: (2,2)
  line from (A + (1,1)) to (B - (2,2))

were rejected (a fix is now in the CVS).  You have to omit the outer
parentheses to make it work with older GNU pic versions, e.g.

  A: (1,1)
  B: (2,2)
  line from A + (1,1) to B - (2,2)

To come back to your example: There is no shrinking with groff.  Due
to the big width I use the following invocation to print it in
landscape:

  groff -Tps -dpaper=letterl -P-pletter -P-l -p floorB.pic > floorB.ps

The `groff' program is a wrapper for the many different pre- and
postprocessors.  `-Tps' selects the output device, `-p' calls pic,
`-dpaper=letterl' defines the string register `paper' to contain
`letterl' -- groff then adjusts the width and height for various macro
packages.  THe `-P-pletter' tells the output device to select the
(physical) letter paper format, and `-P-l' tells the output device to
use landscape.