Re: [Groff] refer question

From: Alejandro López-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] refer question
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 07:10:42 -0500

Mats Broberg wrote:

I've begun work on adding refer capabilities to mom. Using the ms refer module as a starting point, I'm setting mom up to use MLA bibliographic rules.
MLA seems to be "Modern Language Association". What kind of status (official or unofficial) does this style have? I have never heard about it or seen it used.

G'd morning,

There are two major academic traditions to deal with bibliographic
references - the Harvard system (or the Author/Date system) and the
Oxford system (or the Footnote system).
http://www.kangan.edu.au/library/tips/bibliographies.htm

Since both systems are ofte described in within the same style guide, I
think it is better to refer to "systems of references" rather than
actual style guides. For example, both the Harvard and the Oxford system
are escribed in Chicago Manual of Style.
And most publishing in science use either one or a variation thereof. I myself learned to write and expect reference listings and citations to follow the rules of the Council of Biology Editors (CBE), <http://www.councilscienceeditors.org/>.

There are good descriptions of both the citation-sequence and author-date styles in <http://writing.colostate.edu/references/sources/cbe/index.cfm> and in <http://www.monroecc.edu/depts/library/cbe.htm>. Notice that these two styles and their derivations are a lot more widespread in academic publishing than the MLA style. In fact the CBE styles are used in many fields of the humanities with the exception of USiAn English Language/Journalism departments, who prefer MLA or a derivative and USiAn Psychology departments, who use the APA style just to be different.