RE: [Groff] refer question

From: Mats Broberg
Subject: RE: [Groff] refer question
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 10:29:34 +0200

> > I've begun work on adding refer capabilities to mom.  Using the ms
> > refer module as a starting point, I'm setting mom up to use MLA
> > bibliographic rules.
>
> MLA seems to be "Modern Language Association". What kind of
> status (official or unofficial) does this style have? I have
> never heard about it or seen it used.

G'd morning,

There are two major academic traditions to deal with bibliographic
references - the Harvard system (or the Author/Date system) and the
Oxford system (or the Footnote system).

http://www.kangan.edu.au/library/tips/bibliographies.htm

Since both systems are ofte described in within the same style guide, I
think it is better to refer to "systems of references" rather than
actual style guides. For example, both the Harvard and the Oxford system
are escribed in Chicago Manual of Style.

Best regards,
Mats Broberg