Re: [Groff] developers only?

From: M Bianchi
Subject: Re: [Groff] developers only?
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:59:24 -0500

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:23:32AM +0200, Jorgen Grahn wrote:
> On Wed Mar 30 13:09:40 2005, address@hidden wrote:
> > Coming from a version control background I happen to love the roff requests
> > because they have a natural tendency to break things up.  When people
> > create really long lines and version control them then small changes tend
> > to conflict more.
>
> The problem with the requests is that they don't break the lines where a
> person wants them broken -- at end-of-sentence, comma and so on.

I have been using troff since the 1970s
and very much like the fact
that I can lay out my thoughts
in short lines of phrases.
Like the this e-mail.
.P
The markup is sometimes a bit odd-looking,
but I have been
.B thinking
in terms of the
.I mm
macros for decades now.
The fact that I can read my old documents,
both formatted and in raw form,
is worth a great deal to me.
I also like the fact that I can have programs
.I generate
those portions of my documents that
are best expressed as a computational process.
.P
And RCS/CVS version control of the documents
tends to work.
.I rdsdiff(1)
will show which lines changed and
those lines are often specific phrases