Re: [Groff] developers only?

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] developers only?
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:30:03 -0000 (BST)

On 29-Mar-05 Ted Harding wrote:
> On 29-Mar-05 Otavio Exel wrote:
>> [...]
>> I'm using -me and groff 1.17.2 (debian stable);
>
> I'll make a suggestion. This uses the 'ms' macros (which
> I'm more familiar with than 'me' so I know what I'm doing!).
> [...]

Now that I've had a detailed look at the 'me' macros,
I see that there is nothing in 'me' corresponding to the
".XP" macro in 'ms', so to use the mechanism I proposed in
my previous post you'd need to switch to the 'ms' macros.

However, looking at Tadziu Hoffman's neat use of ".ti"
with 'me' macros gives the idea that you can, again,
exploit the blank-line-macro idea so that you don't
have to bother with ".xx" at the start of each line
of the lyrics, i.e. each new line of the lyric is
preceded by a blank line in the input file, which is
much less fussy to type than the ".xx" at the start.

So I've modified Tadziu's example as follows:

------------cut 8< here-------------
.2c
.fi
This is just some comaprison text to demonstrate the width of
the column.

.de xx
.br
.ti 0
..
.blm xx
.in +2m

A normal-length line of my favorite song

A very very very very very very very very long line of my favorite song

A short line

A normal-length line of my favorite song

.in -2m
------------cut >8 here-------------

With the above in "temp2.tr", when I run

  groff -Tascii -me temp2.tr > temp2.txt

I get:

  This is just some comaprison
  text  to   demonstrate   the