Re: [Groff] developers only?

From: Alejandro López-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] developers only?
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:53:04 -0500

Otavio Exel wrote:

Jorgen Grahn wrote:
Yes, the list is dominated by developers and/or power users, but that
should not discourage anyone from talking about more basic things.

in the hope that "more basic" includes "stupid".. here I go! :-))

This is not stupid! In fact this is not particularly obvious.

I'm printing the lyrics of a CD; I want it in 2-col; so I did

        .2c
        .nf

I wanted groff to *not* join short lines but break long lines;
Short lines were not joined, ok!
But groff did not break the long lines :-))
- Long lines in the first column invaded the second column
- Long lines in the second column were truncated

How do I get groff to split but don't join?

Doing it by hand. When you make a ".nf" request, you are effectively telling groff to forget about its line-breaking algorithm and let you decide by yourself, until you make a ".fi" request. A different approach would be to break the lines by adding a ".br" request in a line after where you want the line breaking to occur and let groff decide on the longer lines.