Re: [Groff] mom: Some follow-up questions

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] mom: Some follow-up questions
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:31:09 +0000

Hi Larry and Larry,

Larry McVoy wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 08:54:29PM -0500, Larry Kollar wrote:
> > > Larry K., have you found a new CVS host for the UTP meanwhile?
> > > Have you finally announced the UTP on the various lists?  Maybe we
> > > can find volunteers more easily if more people know of its
> > > existence...
> >
> > No, and no. Larry McVoy has offered Bitkeeper, and I'm going to take
> > him up on it once I take the time to sit down and get familiar with
> > it.

Please don't use BitKeeper.  I didn't prod people into re-entering the
troff for UTP and contacting Tim O'Reilly to see the work end up under
BK.  Unlike the Linux kernel, there's little argument that UTP requires
some of BK's features.

> For what it is worth we've recently added an open source BK client so
> that people can get at the source easily and not need to agree to any
> license.  That's been a sticking point and we've nailed it.

That's good news, but can you update
http://www.bitkeeper.com/cgi-bin/license.cgi to explain how to get
access.  It currently says

    If you will be using BitKeeper strictly for Open Source projects we
    have a limited feature version[1] that is available under a
    restricted license and offered at no cost.

    1.  http://www.bitkeeper.com/Products.BK_Pro.Downloads.html

There's no obvious mention of the limited feature version on [1], or a
link to http://www.bitmover.com/bk-client.shar.

Thanks,

Ralph.