Re: [Groff] ubuntu, groff and utf-8

From: Alejandro López-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] ubuntu, groff and utf-8
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:12:51 -0500

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> Michail Vidiassov wrote

AFAIK, opentype fonts have tables of relative positions of accented
characters and accents, AFM files can have a section describing the
construction of composites.  Can groff use that information?

No.  It shouldn't be too difficult to write a script which transforms
such information into proper .fschar commands.  Similar to LaTeX, this
data could be in a foo.fd file; more sophisticated font loading macros
could automatically load such a file if it exists.  On the other hand
I'm not sure that it is worth the trouble.  You are the first one who
has ever mentioned this AFM feature on the groff list.

I think that relying on such AFM feature for any kind of character decomposing is pretty much a dead-end. I know of no vendor suppliing such information in their AFM files (if they supply AFM files at all, that is) with the exception of Adobe, and the latter stopped providing this information for fonts made after 1992 (that would be with the end of the FontFolio 4.x series if memory serves).

Furthermore, there is no publically available tool propietary or open source (but I haven't looked at the trial version of the DTL tool set) that outputs such composite lists in the resulting AFM files, with the possible exception of Fontgrapher 3.5 for Windows (a 13 year old relic which would do you no good with respect to anything different to WinANSI encoded fonts, BTW). On the other hand, it is my understanding that the latest Adobe FontFolio 10 (OTF version) doesn't contain AFM files and that they are not provided by the vendor. You have to extract the information yourself with Eddie Koehler's typetools or code up your own tools using Just van Rossum's fonttools/ttx python based libraries and utilities, or T1lib (btw, is FreeType up to the task already?).