[Groff] Re: grohtml and Cyrillic

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: [Groff] Re: grohtml and Cyrillic
Date: 14 Mar 2005 07:00:22 +0000

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

> Gaius,
>

> I've added Cyrillic entities to grohtml's fonts.  To avoid zillions of
> warnings, special care must be taken to select a proper font which is
> used during the PS run.  The easiest way is to add the following at
> the beginning of the document:
>
>   .if '\*[.T]'ps' \
>   .  fam UT
>
> Here we assume that `UT' (which I use privately for URW Times) selects
> a font family which actually has Cyrillic glyphs.
>
> Note that the warnings are harmless if you don't have tables or
> similar things which actually need -Tps for proper rendering.
>
> I wonder whether it makes sense to add an option to grohtml so that no
> PS run is executed.  Instead of calling groff with -Tps it should emit
> warning messages like `warning: table in line XXX won't be
> converted'.  My question: Is this possible at all?

Hi Werner,

certainly it is possible, but is there a way in which we can add the
code above to ps.tmac and only invoke it when ps4html is set? Or map
the Cyrillic glyphs (in ps.tmac) onto \(sq - similar to mozilla (when
it cannot find the glyph).

If we disable the ps run, then images, equ, pic will also break in
grohtml..

Gaius