Re: [Groff] mom: Some follow-up questions

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] mom: Some follow-up questions
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:24:55 +0000

On Saturday 12 March 2005 6:59 pm, Jon Snader wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 11:17:45AM -0500, Peter Schaffter wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 12, 2005, Jon Snader wrote:
> > > I do have cross reference macros that I use for my books.
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > Peter, if you'd like to include them in mom or use them as a
> > > starting point, you're more than welcome--just let me know.
> >
> > Please, pass them along.
>
> Will do.  Give me a couple of days to do a minimal writeup on how
> to use them.  I call the two macros .Xr (a cross reference
> reference) and .Rf (a cross reference definition).  At a minimum,
> you'd probably want to change the names to be more in line with
> the macro names you use in mom.

If I may be so bold as to suggest, Peter, you may *not* wish to integrate
such a capability too tightly into mom itself.

A cross reference capability is already defined within my pdfmark macro set,
using `.pdfhref M ...' to mark a reference point, and `.pdfhref L ...' to
refer to it, creating an active PDF link in the process.  Although I normally
use ms for my routine formatting, I see no reason why mom should not be used
as an alternative, for formatting PDF output, in which case the natural
choice would be to employ pdfmark.tmac to handle cross references.

To achieve integration between ms and pdfmark, I employ a separate binding
macro package, called spdf.tmac, which .mso's *both* s.tmac and pdfmark.tmac,
and also performs any additional initialisation necessary to make the two
co-operate effectively.  I then use `groff -mspdf ...' -- or rather, because
of the multiple pass processing requirement, `pdfroff -mspdf ...' to perform
the formatting.  From the outset, I have always foreseen that similar binding
packages could be provided, e.g. mpdf.tmac, epdf.tmac and ompdf.tmac, to
support PDF formatting with mm, me and mom respectively.

While the use of pdfmark.tmac/pdfroff as the referencing package is specific
to the formatting of PDF output, I would suggest that a similar package
architecture could be equally suited to other document types, and IMO, should
be preferred to tight integration of any one set of referencing macros, which
may not be universally suitable, directly into the main macro package.

pdfmark.tmac and pdfroff are already provided in the contrib/pdfmark
directory of the groff CVS.  Documentation is still far from complete, but
the macros themselves do seem to be quite usable.  If you were interested in
working on an ompdf.tmac binding package to go with them, I would be willing
to give you any assistance I could;  otherwise, I may get around to it
myself, some day, but it could be a long time coming.

Best regards,
Keith.