Re: [Groff] questions about postscript and tex/latex output

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] questions about postscript and tex/latex output
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:00:48 -0500

Robert Dodier wrote:

(1) The postscript output option (-T ps) puts the stuff
between .DS/.DE in variable-width font, although I would
have expected fixed width font. Is there a way to cajole
groff into considering .DS/.DE stuff to be fixed width font?

I haven't tried this, but it should work -- put it at the beginning of your file and see if it works:

.rn DS DS-orig
.rn DE DE-orig
.de DS
.CW
.DS-orig
..
.de DE
.DE-orig
.R
..

That will set everything between *each* DS & DE in Courier, hope that's what you wanted.

(2) Is there a way to generate tex or latex output from groff?

I suppose, but why would you want to? :-P

Seriously, your best bet would probably be to use groff -Thtml (instead of -Tps) to produce HTML output, run it through Tidy to clean it up a bit (I'd use "tidy -asxml" but plain tidy might work too), then convert that to *TeX. Google for "html to latex" (use the quotes for a change!) to find some possible utilities. You could also use doclifter to transform to DocBook then transform that to *TeX, but you'd probably have to do some manual cleanup after each transformation.

Hope that helps....
--
Larry Kollar     k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: "UTP Revival"