Re: [Groff] mom: Some follow-up questions

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] mom: Some follow-up questions
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 21:51:46 +0100

> Btw, I think I read somewhere that groff never ever hyphenates
> the last word on a page. Is that true? I guess that makes the
> guys over at comp.text.tex envious. There are quite a few
> threads about how to make TeX & Children succeed with that...!

Don't draw premature conclusions from this "feature".  Since
groff does not intrinsically have a paragraph optimizing
capability, the only possible way to achieve this result is to
simply pull the complete word onto the next page and to stretch
the space between the remaining words on the line.  In general
(in my experience) the holes in the line resulting from this
treatment are an even worse deterrent to fluid reading than a
word hyphenated across a page boundary.  Fortunately groff
also *does* allow one to hyphenate the last word on a page.