RE: [Groff] The quest for a high-end typesetting system: A few questions

From: Mats Broberg
Subject: RE: [Groff] The quest for a high-end typesetting system: A few questions
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:00:49 +0100

Werner Lemberg wrote:

> > 8: I found a discussion about making the linebreaking algorithm
> > paragraph-based (as in TeX)? Can this be done or has it been done
> > already?
>
> It hasn't been done.  The lack of elastic horizontal and
> vertical space together with missing paragraph formatting are
> indeed typographical handicaps.

Werner,

Thank you for your replies. I agree that the lack of a paragraph-based
line-breaking algorithm indeed is a handicap. Most times, a
paragraph-based algorithm outputs better typesetting.

> > 12: If the last line on a page has a footnote reference,
> what happens
> > in groff? Does the footnote get printed on the next page,
> or does the
> > last line move over to the next page, so that the footnote
> reference
> > and the footnote get printed at the same page? This is
> something many
> > programs have severe problems with.
>
> Without actually testing I think that you can write macros so
> that the last line moves over to the next page.

Sounds promising!

Another general groff question:

Does groff handle floats, i.e. graphics that does not necessarily need
to be inserted at a specific point on the page but are allowed to queue
until there is enough space to put them without getting alot of white
space? I found a a few references to floats in the UTP book, but only in
relation to something called "displays".

Best regards,
Mats Broberg