Re: [Groff] DESC question

From: Alejandro López-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] DESC question
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 06:58:28 -0600 (CST)

Ersin Akinci wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I get the feeling this is going to be a RTFM
question, but I haven't
>been able to find a straight answer anywhere...What
exactly is the
>DESC file?  When I type in "groff" on my Debian
testing box all it

Stating the obvious, and despite all good answers that
you have received
already , no-one has answered *what is a DESC file*
yet. You see, groff
is a complex beast where you have a front end that
includes groff and
the preprocessors, a middle-way processor  that does
the real
typesetting (namely troff) and a series of post
processors, each
targeting a different output device, from text
formatted for console
display (emulating nroff, which groff doesn't have) to
HTML, to
PostScript and several more. Each post processor has
different features
and tunable parameters, including different fonts and
ways to describe
the dimension of a printer page. These parameters are
described in DESC
files.

I get the feeling from how you expressed your ideas,
that you are very
new to g/troff. I highly recommend you read the open
source version of
"Unix Text Processing" available at
<http://home.alltel.net/kollar/utp/>
and with the resources and documentation at
<http://troff.org/>.