[Groff] DESC question

From: Ersin Akinci
Subject: [Groff] DESC question
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 23:56:43 -0500

Hi everyone,

I get the feeling this is going to be a RTFM question, but I haven't
been able to find a straight answer anywhere...What exactly is the
DESC file?  When I type in "groff" on my Debian testing box all it
does is wait for input (it doesn't return any output).  But I recently
compiled groff from scratch in another directory with a seperate
native toolchain I've been building, and when I run groff with no
options, this is the result:

thebeast:/usr/src/groff-1.19.1# groff
groff: can't find `DESC' file
groff:fatal error: invalid device `ps'

The groff on my Debian system is 1.18.1 and the groff I compiled is
1.19.1.  I compiled the new groff statically, could that be a problem?
 Is this a bug, or do I need to set up a DESC file?

Thanks for your help!

-Ersin