Re: [Groff] gpic question?

From: Larry McVoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] gpic question?
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 13:25:19 -0800

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 04:16:18PM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > On a slightly different topic, would there be any interest in adding
> > a library of freely reusable pic (and/or eqn and/or grap) examples
> > to the groff distribution and/or the website?  I'd be happy to
> > donate mine.
>
> Great idea!  Adding things directly to the groff distribution needs
> papers for the FSF.  There isn't such a need for the website, of
> course.

I'm really not willing to sign over my copyrights to the FSF.  It's a
personal choice but if the requirement is that it has to be signed
over to the FSF that's a non-starter for me.  Others may feel
differently.  Personally, I'm a little unhappy with the perception that
the FSF is responsible for all the GNU code, that's not even remotely
close to true.  Groff is a good example, the FSF didn't pay for that or
support it, James did it on his own.

> It's straightforward to add directories for pic/eqn/grap samples on
> groff.ffii.org.  Shall such files be compressed and/or bundled in
> archives?  Or is plain text preferable?

I'd suggest you make a template directory structure like

        name/
            Makefile
            README
            source.tr