Re: [Groff] gpic question?

From: Erich Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] gpic question?
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 08:40:08 +0100

Hello,

On Tuesday 01 February 2005 23:14, Larry McVoy wrote:
[...]
> On a slightly different topic, would there be any interest in adding a
> library of freely reusable pic (and/or eqn and/or grap) examples to the
> groff distribution and/or the website?  I'd be happy to donate mine.

For me it would be of great interest.

   I started using pic because I needed one (1!) diagram which was very
simple I admit, showing some circles, boxes, diagonal lines and bits
of text. Though I had do learn pic from the beginnings for this 1
project I think it was less time consuming than doing the same thing
with xfig (maybe it depends on what you want to do).     The comparison to vim
seems very sensible to me.  In both cases you
need to develop some keyboard-and-typing-habits and figure out a
couple of macros, and after this learning curve work goes on very
smoothly --- at least for the simple purposes I need, but the whole
system made me very interested in the deeper odds and ends and that
is why I'm looking forward to the pic library!

best,

erich

PS.

As literatur I used UNIX IN A NUTSHELL and CSTR 116.  Before I could
use cstr116, I had to convert it from ps to pdf.  Trying to read cstr
116.ps, Kghostview 0.20 only shows the first page and gv 3.5.8 shows
all pages, but as a sequence without the possibility to re-read a
page once I have moved to the following one.  Normal forward-backward
reading only works with the re-formatted pdf file.  (??)