Re: [Groff] Mailing list munging code

From: Werner LEMBERG
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:10:20 +0100 (CET)

> Looking back in the archives for the original posting of the MN
> macros, I noticed (in the post at
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2002-12/msg00097.html) that
> the references to internal -ms macros had been identified by the
> mailing-list manager as email addresses and protected against spam,
> so that address@hidden, for instance, is turned into
> address@hidden  Is there any way to stop this happening
> - and to recover the unmunged versions of past posts?

A very good question.  The mailman version on lists.gnu.org only
offers this setting:

  obscure_addresses (privacy): Show member addresses so they're not
                               directly recognizable as email
                               addresses?

  Setting this option causes member email addresses to be transformed
  when they are presented on list web pages (both in text and as
  links), so they're not trivially recognizable as email addresses.
  The intention is to prevent the addresses from being snarfed up by
  automated web scanners for use by spammers.

Basically, this is a good option and should be active.  On the other
hand, the used regexp to recognize email addresses is not
sophisticated enough IMHO.  address@hidden' isn't a valid global email
adress; I think that mailman should check whether there is a dot in
the part after the `@'.

Savannah hackers, what can we do to get an improved behaviour?  And
how can attachments survive unmodified (this is, staying as extra
files with a link to it in the archived mail)?