Re: [Groff] Re: tag tidying up..

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: tag tidying up..
Date: 20 Dec 2004 10:06:32 +0000

Peter Schaffter <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 17, 2004, Larry Kollar wrote:
> > I would like to (again) suggest using CSS instead of tables to specify
> > indents. For .TP (or .IP in -ms), the input & HTML output could look
> > something like this:
>
> I couldn't agree more.  Using tables to indent paragraphs is a bit
> like using the end of a screwdriver to hammer in a nail.  CSS makes
> much more sense.

Hi Peter/Larry,

thanks for the comments and suggestions - certainly I think using css
for handling vertical space between paragraphs will fix the bug
reported by Werner (basically when we get <p></p> inside a table).

Using css for indentation - interesting. While it works for the case
of the first operand to .IP being larger than the default gutter
Ie:

 .IP foobarmumble
 hello world

 foobarmumble
       hello world

I'm not sure whether it could be extended to solve the case when
the width of the operand is less than the gutter:

 .IP hi
 hello world

 hi    hello world

But maybe I've missed an obvious solution?

[It also needs to solve the line wrap around if extra text were added
to hello world].

Thanks for the css <p></p> suggestion,

Gaius