Re: [Groff] groff as a backend

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff as a backend
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 12:30:51 -0000 (GMT)

On 16-Dec-04 Larry McVoy wrote:
>> 1. Creates initial groff source and PostScript output files
>> 2. Opens 'gv' to display the PS file, 'gv' in "watch" mode
>>    (i.e. as soon as the PS file changes it re-reads it)
>> 3. Watches the groff source file and, as soon as it changes,
>>    runs 'groff' on it, thereby chenging the PS file (see (2)).
>
> I've been doing this for years, I've attached a perl script which is
> a slight improvement over yours in that it works more or less like
> groff, scans all the input for '^.so' and watches those files too.
> Oh, and it rescans every 200 milliseconds which is basically human
> reaction time.
>
> This works great for me.

Well, it looks interesting! Except that I don't really
understand perl (it's too clever for me), so I haven't
sussed out how to use it.

The "usage" messaqe says:

  usage: ././g comand -args -args filename

so what should "command" be, how to the "args" relate, and
where in the groff chain is "filename" supposed to be?

An example of usage would be helpful.
Thanks for sending this,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861  [NB: New number!]
Date: 17-Dec-04                                       Time: 12:30:51