Re: [Groff] vi/vim and sed/awk bigotry :-)

From: Alejandro López-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] vi/vim and sed/awk bigotry :-)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 07:20:51 -0500

On 17/12/2004 02:11 a.m., Clarke Echols wrote:

There are some things in vim that I DON'T LIKE!  Like when
I use the space bar to move across a line and when it reaches
end of line it jumps to beginning of next line.  I know I can
set it to "vi mode", but then I give up other stuff in vim
that I prefer.  Is there some way to turn that feature off that
I haven't been able to find???

Well... Tadziu Hoffman has already answered that. The advantages of
waking up early, I say. I would only round it up, by recommending you
read the entry on whichwrap on the on-line manual:

        :h 'ww'

You'll find there's a lot of tunning possible under the hood, enough to
make vim look like anything but vi. For example, sometime ago I created
a keymap file that allows me to type high-bit characters and have them
automatically expand to groff character macros (you'll find it somewhere
in vim.org).

Anyway, I have a vested interest in this part of the discussion; as I
am, for lack of better qualified substrate, the official maintainer of
all things *roff in vim. Don't hesitate to forward your complains about
the syntax file and ideas about what you would like to see in vim for
groff editing support, perhaps folding support?

On the main theme of this thread, I can't say anything that haven't already been said. :-)

--
Alejandro López-Valencia

Lo que Natura non da, Salamanca non presta.
                                Francisco de Quevedo y Villegas