Re: [Groff] vi/vim and sed/awk bigotry :-)

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] vi/vim and sed/awk bigotry :-)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:11:28 -0700

You're right.  I do use vim, but I invoke it as "vi" (cygwin
on "Windows 98 Plus!") and I've used vi for 20 years.  It's
hard to change habits when you're as old as King Tut (you
don't believe it?  Just ask my kids :-) ).  As for the sed/awk
substitution, you're right -- there are some neat features in
awk.  I just need to learn more about it when I can squeeze some
time in.  Current responsibilities don't provide a need for using
it more than very occasionally, and it's hard to learn as an
occasional user. :-(

There are some things in vim that I DON'T LIKE!  Like when
I use the space bar to move across a line and when it reaches
end of line it jumps to beginning of next line.  I know I can
set it to "vi mode", but then I give up other stuff in vim
that I prefer.  Is there some way to turn that feature off that
I haven't been able to find???

Clarke