Re: [Groff] groff as a backend

From: Otavio Exel
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff as a backend
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 02:15:35 -0200

Larry Kollar wrote:

> I have an idea that might even allow the preprocessors/modules
> to remain backward-compatible. When gtroff encounters, say, a
> TS macro, it could encode the current environment and start tbl,
> attaching the environment as an argument to .TS or inserting it
> into the table definition.

warning: newbie here; new to the list; never written any
serious groff; never seen the groff sources; two glasses
of red wine 30 min ago;

I'd propose the following "<<"-like extension to ".sy":

        [groff source]
        [groff source]
        .sy tbl (possible params here) << EOF
        [tbl source]
        [tbl source]
        [tbl source]
        EOF
        [groff source]
        [groff source]

so that groff would not need to have the ".PS", ".PE", ".TS", ".TE",
etc, etc. hardcoded;

it would also be possible to use filters other than tbl/pic/eqn
(including your own filter);

and BTW..

if you could throw in a way to source a macro package with a special
"source macro package" command like:

        .somp me

or

        .somp me.tmac

the need for grog would be gone!

IMHO the need for grog is the most sub-optimal "feature" in groff;
again IMHO, both the macro package and any auxiliary programs should be
specified in the source, not in the command-line!

[]s,

PS: I blame the wine for any stupid statement I made :-)

--
Otavio Exel /<\oo/>\ address@hidden