Re: [Groff] groff as a backend

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff as a backend
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:24:27 -0500

Clarke Echols wrote:

...  Running vi non-interactively
inside a shell script (redirect standard input from a file whose
last line is "ZZ" or ":wq") and using sed inside of vi lets you
do some really insanely powerful stuff.  I can only imagine
running awk inside of vi, but I haven't learned it yet...

It's great. I've been using structured FrameMaker at work, and the
most efficient way to get sloppy Word files into Frame is to paste
text into Vim and use awk scripts to wrap everything in XML tags.

And I thought of something that might address Larry McVoy's wish:

Another problem is that the design of the roff suite of tools is a series of filters. I.e., pic | eqn | tbl | groff. The problem with that is that the earlier stages of the pipeline don't have enough knowledge of the state
of the doc when they are called.

I have an idea that might even allow the preprocessors/modules
to remain backward-compatible. When gtroff encounters, say, a
TS macro, it could encode the current environment and start tbl,
attaching the environment as an argument to .TS or inserting it
into the table definition.

--
Larry Kollar     k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: "UTP Revival"